Tuesday, December 15, 2009
My family loved spicy food so cooked the sambal sotong to be served with white rice or nasi lemak. Quite simple recipe with minimum ingredients yet tasty.
600g cuttle fish (separate head from body, remove bag of fluid, wash and drain)
3 tablespoons chili paste
5 shallots pounded
2 cloves garlic pounded
1 tablespoon tamarind mix with 4 tablespoons water and strain to get the juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons oil
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1. Heat oil, add onion, garlic, turmeric and chili paste fry until fragrant, add some water if it is too dry.
2. Add, tamarind juice, salt, sugar and water, continue cooking till gravy is fairly thick.
3. Now add the cuttle fish, cook for 5 minute. Do not overcook as the cuttle fish will become rubbery.
4. Check the salt and sugar, add more if necessary.
5. Remove from heat, the sambal is ready to be served.
view my recipes