I'm craving for wajik (sweetened palm sugar glutinous rice pudding) now. This is a traditional festival sweet my mum used to make.
The process of making this kuih, first you have to cook the glutinous rice either by steaming or use rice cooker which is simplest and safest method, can't go wrong, just dump the rice in the cooker it will do the rest. Secondly prepare the sugar and coconut milk syrup until it thickens, and that requires constant stirring. Only then the cooked rice is added. What I have used here is low fat coconut milk but feel free to use normal ones.
Another item is screwpine leaves that was used but if unavailable you could omit this since the leaves are for fragrance only.
1 cup white glutinous rice (soak 4 hours)
1 cup water
1 cup palm sugar
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup water
2 pandan leaves knotted
* Rinse the glutionus rice several times and soak at least 4 hours.
* Put in the rice, 1 cup water and salt into a rice cooker and on the switch, occasionally stir and let it cook. Once it is cooked, stir to separate and let cool.
* In a non stick pot, combine sugar and water, bring to boil, strain. Put back the syrup into the pot together with coconut milk, salt and pandan leaves. Keep stirring until thicken and bubbles appear on top. Discard the pandan leaves.
* Now add the cooked rice, stir until rice fully coated by syrup and leaves side of pot.
* Pour onto greased shallow tray and let cool.
* When completely cool, slice as per your desired shape and serve.
Connect with me:
FACEBOOK / YOU TUBE / YOU TUBE / RSS / EMAIL / GOOGLE+