Monday, July 19, 2010
ABUK ABUK SAGU
Simple and easy to make kuih of South East Asia. Traditionally it is wrapped with banana leaves and comes in a shape of a cone. Combining pearl sago, coconut (remove the brown skin) and palm sugar in a single recipe.
Anyway I have used muffin pan instead of banana leaves, do use them if available at your place.
For the quantity below you could get 10 pieces, enough for a small family to enjoy this yummy dessert of yesteryear.
1 and 1/2 cups pearl sago
1 and 1/2 cups grated coconut
10 heaped tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
* Boil 2 in depth water in a steamer. Grease and heat the muffin pan in the steamer.
* Wash sago with running water then drain.
* Combine together sago, coconut and salt in a mixing bowl, mix well. Sprinkle little water if it is too dry.
* Place 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of sago mixture onto the muffin pan, spread evenly.
* Now pour a heaped tablespoon brown sugar on top of sago mixture.
* Cover the brown sugar with another 1 and 1/2 tablespoon of sago mixture and level top.
* Steam for 15 minutes or until the sago turns translucent with medium heat.
* When completely cool, remove from the muffin pan to serve.