I intended to bake the marble cake for quite some time but always reluctant to try, simply because it calls for high content of fat, sugar and egg.
Created my own that is not very rich, simple to make and delicious. Replaced milk with water and milk powder since the milk is out of stock. The classic pairing is chocolate and vanilla, but you can use other combination too, there are so many more possibilities. In case you want to try, here is the recipe:
Yield : 8 in loaf cake
2 C all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 C butter softened
2 T milk powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup plus 2 T water
2 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
* Preheat oven @ 350 F/175 C. Combine water and milk powder, stir and keep aside.
* Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda. Grease 8 in cake pan.
* Beat the butter and sugar until well blended, add vanilla essence.
* Mix flour to the butter mixture alternating with milk until well blended.
* Divide batter into 2, one portion add cocoa powder, another one lave it plain.
* Place one tablespoon plain dough into a greased pan, put on top of this the chocolate portion, repeat with the rest of the dough. Take a skewer and swirl around the mixture 1-2 times to get a marbled effect.
* Bake 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
* Cool on pan 10 minutes, transfer onto wire rack.
* Slice and enjoy!