Normally this fried snack is made of mashed sweet potato and glutinous rice flour. I used rice flour and plain flour instead since the glutinous rice flour is not available. After mixing they are stuffed with red bean paste or sweetened coconut then coated with white sesame seed.
Since sometime it explodes when you fry them that how it got his name. Anyway I have fried mine safely and turns out perfect despite the change of its shape.
When frying, use medium heat and constantly turns the kuih so it cooks evenly. Really pleased with the result of my experiment, it turns delicious..
250g potato boiled and mashed
6 T rice flour
6 T plain flour
4-5 T water
salt to taste
oil for frying
1/2 C sesame seed
red bean paste
* Roll the red bean paste into small ball, slightly smaller than ping pong ball.
* In a mixing bowl, combine mashed potato, rice flour, plain flour and salt.
* Gradually add the water until pliable dough is formed, knead well.
* Divide the dough into 10 balls. Stuff each ball with red bean paste, shape into ball and coat them with sesame seed.
* Heat the oil, when the oil is hot, slide the balls and fry the golden brown, do not crowd the pan.
* Remove and drain on paper towel. Serve hot.
Show And Tell Friday
You Like Me
Hop Along Friday
Fun W/ Food