LABRLS




Sunday, August 22, 2010

KUIH SAGU/ SAGO CAKE

Photobucket

Sago is a natural food which is in existence for centuries. During the period of East India trade, it was a product traded in the region and even considered to be superior substance when it was first imported to Britain in 18th century. It is used to be added to soups and made into puddings and desserts.

This yummy dessert of Malaysia and Singapore is really easy to prepare. Made of pearl sago, water and sugar, boil using medium heat and constantly stirring to avoid it sticks to the bottom of the pan, once the bubble appears you can safely remove from heat. Transfer this into rinsed pan or small cups to cool. To serve, roll them with grated coconut with salt added. Simply great for dessert or as a light snack. This is my mum's favorite dessert. She  used to serve  this after school  but  now I have to prepare myself to enjoy them..


INGREDIENTS

1 C pearl sago
1/2 C sugar
2 C water
red food coloring
1/2 of fresh coconut, grated
3/4 tsp salt

METHOD

* Soak sago pearl for 15 minutes, rinse and drain. Wet the 7 inches pan with water. Mix some salt to the grated coconut and keep aside.

* Place sugar and water in a deep pot and bring to boil.

* Add a drop of food coloring and stir.

* Now add the drained sago pearl and stir until the bubble appears on top.

* Transfer the sago into rinsed 7 inches pan and leave to cool.

* Slice and coat with grated coconut to serve.

Linking to  My Collection & Memories Contest

27 comments:

kitchen queen said...

lovely new and innovative cake recipe.

Unknown said...

i remember seeing these goodies when i visited Singapore :) Thanks for sharing!

Cooking Gallery said...

Love sago cakes...! Used to eat them quite often when I was younger, it's great that you're sharing the recipe for there's 0 chance that I would find these cakes somewhere in Germany. Thank you :)

Federica Simoni said...

non conosco questo ingrediente ma credo proprio sia buonissimo!complimenti!!

Unknown said...

Nice innovative recipe..sounds great.

Satrupa said...

Luv the color of the the Sago Cake ..... look delicious !!

Cheers n Happy Cooking,
Satrupa
http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

I've had these before and they were really great. I never knew what they were called. Yours look perfect.

Suji said...

Something new but looks yummy, i love that color..

Swathi said...

Kuih sagu looks delicious I liked very much .

aipi said...

Sago cake is very new to me..looks very interesting,definitely book marking it :)

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Sagu Cake looks awesome and the color looks inviting. Nice Pics.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Sarah Naveen said...

new to me..looks awesome..

Sushma Mallya said...

Very interesting, nice recipe & looks yum as well

Unknown said...

new to me..looks tempting..loved the colour...

Suja Manoj said...

Sago cake..very new to me, looks awesome.lovely tempting color

Fathima said...

never had this before... looks yummy.... lovely color!

swapna said...

Very new to me...love the color and looks yummy!!!

Faith said...

This beautiful cake is new to me and I would love to try it! I love that coconut coating!

chaitrali pathak said...

thats new to me..but looks awesome..lovely...

MaryMoh said...

Oh, I remember eating these back home in Malaysia! They are delicious. I should make these for parties.

Priya Suresh said...

Such a beautiful cake..yumm..

Lav said...

:ools quite new to me...should try....very creative

Lavanya

www.lavsblog.com

Satya said...

wow sago cake looks gorgeous ...love to try it ...thanks for sharing

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Dear friends,

Thanks for your lovely and encouraging comments....

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

New one to me sounds interesting and easy..Would try it out !!!

Charitha said...

Wow very innovative item..looks yummy..its new one to me never heard

Giulia dans le noir said...

Hi Palatable... first of all I have to say thanks you to your involvement in my contest. Yours are very curious sweet... I didn't know Sago and I don't know if and where I can find it in Italy. But believe me if I say I like so much yours sweeties and the memories they take in themselves.
Enjoy your evening kisses


Giulia