LABRLS




Wednesday, August 18, 2010

SAMBAR (LENTIL CURRY)

Photobucket

Essential dish of South India, made of toor dhal flavored with special blend of spices, tamarind, garnished with curry leaves, mustard seed and fenugreek. It usually serves with plain rice, vada, dosa or iddly. There are various types of sambar available in Indian meal.

I'm using ready made sambar powder for this recipe which is quite tasty and simple to prepare. Vegetables like drumstick, carrot, brinjal or potato could be added to the gravy. How runny the sambar is depending on the quantity of water added during the process but I liked mine to be not too thick nor too watery.


INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup toor dhal boiled
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tomato chopped
1 T chili powder
2 T sambar powder
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon urad dhal
curry leaves
2 big onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 T tamarind paste add 1/2 C water
pinch of asafoetida
2 T cooking oil
1 cup cut vegetables
water

METHOD

* Heat the oil, fry mustard seed and urad dhal until fragrant, add the onion, curry leaves and asafoetida, fry until onion turns brown.

* Now add garlic, salt and tomato, cook until tomato turns soft.

* Mix in sambar, turmeric and chili powder, add little water, cook until fragrant.

* Add the tamarind juice, water and dhal, bring to boil, add vegetable and cook until soft..

* Sprinkle with coriander leaves, ready to serve.

Connect with me:

FACEBOOK /   INSTAGRAM /   YOU TUBE /     YOU TUBE   /      RSS    /     EMAIL  
 GOOGLE+  /  TWITTER  /    PINTEREST 

37 comments:

s said...

its beena while since i had sambhar...no coconut? wow must try.

Rachana said...

I love sambar and this looks yumm!

Satrupa said...

Ur Sambar makes me drool .... I am ready to have it with steaming hot rice n ghee :)

Cheers n Happy Cooking,
Satrupa

http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

aipi said...

Perfect comfort food n healthy too full of protein n veggies.I make it in the same way!!
My hubby eats sambhar chawal with potato chips :) :)

Unknown said...

This dish reminds me my mom...she makes this very tasty,.....thanks for sharing...

Swathi said...

Sambar looks tasty. I love this one as mom makes more often.

Satya said...

sambar looks really delicious

kitchen queen said...

delicious and yummy sambar.

Suman Singh said...

love sambhar and this looks so yummie!

Unknown said...

That is a good one. I see that you have added drumstick, love the presentation :)

Federica Simoni said...

questo piatto deve essere molto gustoso e appetitoso!complimenti!!!

Suji said...

Sambar is my fav ..Love it..

Suja Manoj said...

Delicious sambar..love it with Dosa, tempting clicks

Nitha said...

Sambar is our fav.. be it with idly or dosa or rice..

Elaichii said...

Can't live without sambhar!

Neetz said...

sambar is one curry that is mostly a staple food for south indians :)... this is surely gonna be a tasty treat to ur tongue :)

Urmi said...

I love sambar very much and feel like having it now. Looks delicious and tempting.

Krishnaveni said...

sambar is my all time fav, looks so good

Veggie Hut said...

love the sambhar..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Delicious sambar...love it with idly or rice....
Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Vineetha Sush said...

Never gets bored of sambar..Infact I m going to make it today..yummy!!

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

sambar is my all time fav.love the addition of garlic in it

Vikis Kitchen said...

Very nice sambar dear.Sounds delicious. My all time favorite.

Sarah Naveen said...

My fav!! looks so perfect and yummy!!!

Sushma Mallya said...

my fav too, just the idli is missing...

Unknown said...

love love sambar anytime of the year ...look yum!

Faith said...

My hubby and I love curry and lentil as well. He'd be very happy if I make this. Thanks for sharing.

Faith

anudivya said...

The good old sambar, nothing like it on a bowl of steaming rice!

Sangi said...

Simple and delicious sambar...

MaryMoh said...

Love curry...yum. Just so good with rice...am drooling :D

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Hello everyone, thanks for your sweet and encouraging comments...

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

I love sambhar, as you probably already know, :) This looks so good, and Im actually making another batch today. Im feeling a little sick over the weekend, and I love having sambhar with rice when Im not feeling good. Most of my tastes are gone now, so I need something very flavorable, and this will do the trick.

Treat and Trick said...

Bella..this is my favorite dish, glad you too love this. This is great with hot steaming rice or roti. Hope you're better now...

Mary said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Thank you for linking it to Masterpiece Monday. Have a great week, Mary :O)

momstheword said...

I have never had this before but it looks like something my husband would absolutely love.

Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

Treat and Trick said...

Mary...Thanks for hosting dear..

momstheword...Thanks for hosting..

Unknown said...

once again a mouthwatering meal! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!