For long long time, I have eaten this dish cooked by my mum. It is so special because it is the only gravy that uses black ink obtained from the squid.
It is quite simple to prepare but you need time to clean the squid, from removing the outer film off the skin, eyes and hard substance found on the head but retaining the ink sac. If more ink is used it turns more darker tone.
The squid is simmered in a spicy gravy using dry chili, onion, garlic, turmeric and lemon grass. Do not overcook squid, it will become rubbery.
SOTONG MASAK HITAM (SQUID IN BLACK INK)
500 g medium squid cleaned
1 stalk lemon grass crushed
3 T oil
lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
salt to taste
10 dry chili, soak to soften
1 big onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 inch ginger
1 cm turmeric root
1/4 cup water
* Clean the squid, rub off thin film, remove hard substance from the head, cut away the eyes and retain the ink sac. Wash and drain.
* Heat the oil, fry ground ingredients together with lemon grass until fragrant.
* Add the squid and salt, stir then cover for 1-2 minutes. Add some water.
* Press the ink sac with spoon and add this to the gravy, it turns black in color.
* Stir for few minutes, add salt if needed, remove from heat. Do not overcook, it will become rubbery. Add lemon juice and stir.
* Serve hot with steaming white rice.
Connect with me:
FACEBOOK / YOU TUBE / YOU TUBE / RSS / EMAIL