Thursday, September 16, 2010
BOMBAY PAV BHAJI
Pav bhaji is a famous street food of Indian, especially Mumbai and Pune. It consists of pav (bread) and the bhaji (gravy) made of potato, carrot, capsicum or other vegetable cooked with pav masala, onion, tomato and ginger garlic paste.
It is so convenient and also a complete meal for busy workers who are rushing for time. Now you can find this in many parts of the world including Singapore, Hong Kong, USA, UK and many more.
In my recipe, I have used whatever vegetables available in my kitchen and added chili powder since my family loves spicy food, green chili can be added instead of chili powder. It is entirely up to you to adjust the spice level according to your taste. I didn't mash the veggies but let them fully cooked and turns soft.
It is so delicious and will definitely cook this dish often. I halved the recipe, another alternative you could use this bhaji for stuffing your puff or bun. They become as great snack to be enjoyed by whole family during picnic or party.
BOMBAY PAV BHAJI
Adapated from Sanjeev Kapoor
2 potato boiled & cubed
2 tomatoes chopped
1 Onion chopped
1/2 in ginger minced
4 garlic minced
1 carrot grated
1/2 cup green peas
2 tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp pav masala
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
chopped onion for garnish
1 lemon cut into wedges
4 pav (bun)
1-2 T butter
* Heat the oil, fry the onion, ginger, garlic until fragrant. Add the tomato and salt, cook until tomato turns soft.
* Now add the pav masala and chili powder, stir until raw smell goes.
* Pour in potato, green peas, carrot and 1 cup of water, simmer for few minutes until thicken.
* Remove from heat. At the time of serving sprinkle with chopped onion, coriander leaves and add lemon slice.
* Cut the pav horizontally into 2, heat the butter and pan fried the pav until light brown.
This goes to Real Food Wednesday, Recipe Swap Thursday 3, Works for me Wednesday, Simple lives thursday-10
view my recipes