Friday, December 10, 2010
A popular South East Asian dish, made of lontong (compressed rice cake) either home made or store bought. The preparation is pretty similar to mee goreng (fried noodle). They are cubed and fried together with blended dry chili, onion and sauces. Prawn, chicken or mince meat are added together with eggs to further enhance its taste.
This dish is almost a complete meal by itself. The key to make this really fast is to get ready all the ingredients before your turn on the heat for cooking. The following merely a guide, you can substitute or add according to your preference..
500g lontong (rice cake) cubed
2-3 T chili paste
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp ginger paste
250g prawns shell removed
2 tomato chopped
2 T tomato sauce
1 T sweet soy sauce
2 T oyster sauce
2-4 eggs beat lightly
3 T cooking oil
Scallion for garnish
* Heat oil, fry onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add blended chili, tomato, salt and the sauces, stir for 2 minutes.
* Add the prawn and fry until prawn is cooked. Add the cubed rice cake.
* Push ingredients to the side of pan, add more oil if needed, pour the eggs into the middle and let eggs cook.
* Mix with the other ingredients, stir well. Remove from heat.
* Garnish with scallion at the time of service.