Wednesday, December 15, 2010
SAVORY DIAMOND CUTS
Crispy, flaky and delicious deep fried snack comes in various names, some named it as mathri, nimki, namak paare or pottiappam. What ever you called them, it is most popular snack throughout India.
This salty fried snack can be eaten anytime of the day with a cup of tea of as finger food. It is a great make ahead snack and to retain its crunchiness, do store them in airtight container. The key of making perfect diamond cuts is to fry them using medium heat so they cook evenly and you get that beautiful golden color. Adding pepper is optional, you can also add other spices if you want.
1 C all purpose flour
2 T oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 C water (not all)
oil for deep frying
* Place all the ingredients except water and oil in a mixing bowl.
* Gradually add water to form a pliable dough. Knead for 5 minutes. Form into a ball. Keep 30 minutes.
* Dust enough flour on your board, roll out into round. Poke the surface with a fork.
* Cut into 1 in strip then cut into diamond shape.
* Heat sufficient oil for deep frying. Slide the diamond cuts and fry until golden brown using medium heat.
* Transfer onto absorbent paper and cool.
* Store into airtight container.