I have a habit of adding fruit or vegetables in baking simply because it is healthy and also to clear whatever in access at my pantry. This is what I'.m going to show you how to whip up a delectable dessert or snack that is moist and flavorful using dates..
Firstly remove the stone then chop the dates into larger chunks, so it is visible.(mine are too small you can't see them at all). Chopped nut can be added too if you want. A nice smell fills the entire kitchen when baking this cake. So pleased with the result, great texture and wonderful taste.
Yield : One loaf
1 3/4 C all purpose flour
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C butter
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 C chopped dates
1 1/2 C boiling water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
* Soak dates in boiling water, add in the butter and let sit for 20 minutes. Preheat oven @ 170 C and grease 7 in pan.
* Sift flour, soda, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
* Add in dates mixture to the flour, add vanilla extract , stir well and pour into prepared pan.
* Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
* Cool on pan 5 minutes, transfer onto rack to cool.
* Slice when completely cool.