A crostata is an Italian version of a free-form tart, it is called galette by the French. I had used apples as the filling but you can use any other fillings either sweet or savory. The crust can be made using food processor or by hand.
It is not difficult to bake one. Here are the tips to make a perfect pie crust:
- Butter and water should be ice cold
- Handle the dough as little as possible. Overworking the dough will make it tough.
- Gradually add enough water to form into a pliable dough. It must sticks together and not crumbly.
- Refrigerate the dough before rolling out
- Prepare the filling 10 minutes before removing the dough from the refrigerator.
The following recipe produces a flaky and tender crust that is so easy to handle. It turns out perfectly every time!