LABRLS




Sunday, October 13, 2013

MACARONI PAYASAM



This South Indian dessert is always served during festivals and special occasions. Macaroni Payasam was delicately flavored with cardamom and nuts. A great dessert for anytime of the year that anyone can cook at home.

Made with macaroni, sauteed in ghee and milk,  it can be customized to your palate by adding more or less  sugar.  Using stove top, the delicious payasam will be ready in a matter of minutes  by simmering the macaroni in a pot of milk.

The flavor of this dessert improves with time, dilute it with a little warm milk before serving since it thickens as it sits. I'm using a seashell shaped macaroni but it is great with other type of pasta too.

MACARONI PAYASAM
Yield     :   8 servings

1 cup macaroni  (seashell shaped)
1 tablespoon ghee
1 liter milk
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon chopped almond/cashew



METHOD

Heat the ghee in a deep pot, add in the nuts, fry until light brown.  Transfer nuts onto a plate.

Using the same pot, fry the macaroni for 1 minute.

Add the milk, simmer until the macaroni turns aldente, stirring in between.

Now add the sugar, stir well.

Add in ground cardamom and fried nuts, stir well.

Serve hot or cold.

Connect with me:

FACEBOOK /     YOU TUBE /     EMAIL   /GOOGLE+ 

20 comments:

Nargis Aara said...

This is very simple and innovative payasam! I really never taught of having payasam like this :) Thanks for sharing ur recipe

Happy Valley Chow said...

That soup looks and sounds delicious. Great recipe!

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Balvinder said...

Macaroni in payassam, quite unique!

Amy said...

Yum. I love cardamom and this macaroni dessert sounds wonderful. There's a sweet noodle my Dad loves in Chinese Cuisine too. But usually cooked with a sweet base without milk. :)

Swathi said...

Macaroni payasam looks delicious.
My website: Zesty South Indian Kitchen

Rafeeda AR said...

looks really delish...

Winnie said...

I like this dessert!!
We make similar dish with rice and vanilla, so I'm sure we're going to love this one with macaroni and cardamon
Thanks for the recipe|

Medeja- CranberryJam said...

It actually a bit reminds me of sweet macaroni soup that my grandma used to make, she was just adding some cherries and wasn't using spices.

Kalyan Panja said...

looks delicious....just mouthwatering!

Priya Suresh said...

Very delicious fusion dessert..

Indrani said...

Wow1 A different dish.

Rosita Vargas said...

Me ha encantado buena manera de cocinarlo sabroso,abrazos.

Jess said...

Oh my goodness...what a nice comfort meal!

Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

Katherines Corner said...

I would love to try this!! xo

easyfoodsmith said...

What a wonderful twist to the payasam! Great post!

Unknown said...

What an interesting recipe! who would've thought of using pasta as a dessert? and the combination of flavors is really fascinating! Thank you so much for sharing at the Fluster Buster party, please join us again next week with another creative recipe. Lizy your party co host

Katerina said...

Now I have never tried pasta in a dessert. How original!

mail4rosey said...

This is a nice deviation from typical pasta dishes. I would try it!

Neetu said...

I happened to stumble upon your blog thru another one...and I am in love!!! Truly innovative recipes, especially this one! I will try this for sure and let you know how it turned out. Pls do chk out my humble space and let me know ure thoughts. I am now a proud follower!!

Neets!
neetustastytreats.blogspot.com

The Lazy Gastronome said...

I have never heard of this but it sound amazing!! Thanks for sharing at the What's for Dinner party. Hope your week is awesome - Happy New Adventures!