LABRLS




Sunday, October 4, 2015

HONEYCOMB CAKE / KEK SARANG SEMUT

Honeycomb Cake  Recipe @ http://treatntrick.blogspot.com


Have been eyeing this cake for quite sometime and today I have a chance to try out Honeycomb Cake Kek Sarang Semut from my own kitchen. This cake got its name because it had a hole resembling that bee hive.

The method involves 2 parts.  First you need to caramelize the sugar until it turned  golden , honey like color. Do not attempt to cook beyond this otherwise your syrup would turn bitter.  Once you get this color, even sugar  did not dissolve at this point, you can add the water gradually and bring to boil until you get smooth syrup.   Be careful when adding hot water because this syrup would splutter.  At this point, you can add the butter.   Remove from heat and cool completely.

Second is combining  the rest of the ingredients to form a cake batter together with sugar syrup.  Let this sit for 2-3  hours before baking.  Next time I want to try other method that uses only  the  bottom heat.

Preheat the oven before baking and put the pan on the lowest rack , bake for 15 minutes then  place pan at middle rack and continue baking until it is done.

After the cake has cooled, invert the cake and trim the surface  as thin as possible.  Now you could see the hole resembling that honeycomb.

Am pleased the cake turned out soft, moist and insanely delicious.. . .

Honeycomb Cake Recipe @ http://treatntrick.blogspot.com


HONEYCOMB CAKE / KEK SARANG SEMUT
Yield :  One  8 in round cake

SUGAR SYRUP
1 cup white sugar
1 cup  water
40 g  butter

1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup condensed milk
1/2  tsp vanilla essence
4  eggs

DIRECTIONS

Grease 8 in cake pan and sift flour together with baking soda.

Place sugar in a pan, using medium heat let the sugar melted and turns into honey like color. Gradually add water, be careful as the hot syrup will splash when water is added, stirring  always to avoid lumps.

Add butter, stir until butter is melted, cool completely. .

Using hand whisk,beat eggs lightly, add condensed milk and vanilla essence.

Pour egg mixture to the sifted flour,

Now add the cooled sugar syrup, stir until well incorporated.

Honeycomb Cake Recipe @ http://treatntrick.blogspot.com


Spoon mixture into cake pan, cover and let sit for 2-3  hours. Preheat oven @ 170 C. used top and bottom heat.

Place the pan on the lowest rack , bake for 15 minutes then  put pan at middle rack and continue baking until it is done for another 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean

Cool in pan for 15 minutes, loosen the edges with  knife or cake spatula,  invert the cake and trim the surface  as thin as possible.  Now you could see the hole resembling that honeycomb.

Source :  http://resipidiana.blogspot.com

Honeycomb Cake Recipe @ http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

Other cake recipes
Sweet Corn Cakel
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
.Eggless Peach Cake

Connect with me:

FACEBOOK /    PINTEREST  /  YOU TUBE /     YOU TUBE   /      RSS    /     EMAIL  /  GOOGLE+ / TWITTER

34 comments:

Elizabeth Spencer said...

Isn't that fascinating! I've never seen anything like it...but I do love honey! Thank you for the inspiration...stopping by from Small Victories Sunday!

Medeja- CranberryJam said...

Very interesting cake. The method is unusual, but sounds delicious :)

Lisa said...

These sounds amazing! Yum!

hazila said...

As Salam kak,

Nak tanya, guna api bawah dulu kemudian atas or atas dan bawah sekaligus? Thanks.

Motions and Emotions said...

wow....very nice

Unknown said...

Wow...this sounds so good and now I'm totally in the mood for cake!!! Thanks so much for sharing your yummy recipe with Share The Wealth Sunday!
xoxo
Lisa

Julie said...

beautifully made cake,yumm :)

Iryna said...

Anything with condensed milk sounds good to me! This cake looks so delicious.

Winnie said...

Fantastic and very unique cake.
I must save the recipe
Honey cakes are popular here :)

Rafeeda AR said...

I had seen this long time back but totally forgot about it... looks really pretty...

Katerina said...

It looks so moist and juicy!

Abby said...

This is such a neat looking cake! My kids would get a kick out of it.

I'm hosting a link up over at my site and I'd love for you to link up with us! http://winsteadwandering.com/the-alder-collective-link-party-no-1/

Danita said...

This cake looks amazing! Thanks for sharing at Small Victories Sunday Linkup!

Unknown said...

This is neat. I've never seen anything like it. I love the honey-comb-like texture. I'm pinning this to try later

rina said...

My mom loved to make this sarang semut cake when I was small. It was very nice. I didn't know the recipe, so I'm very glad to find it on your website.

Jennifer@MyFlagstaffHome said...

Thanks so much for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

Jennifer

Mrs.AOK said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe with us at Mommy Monday! I've pinned this and hopefully my lil' bakers will bake this us for us :)
XOXO

Jess said...

This sounds so delicious! I've pinned it! :)

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

cristi said...

This looks awesome! I seriously have to find the time to try it! Thanks so much for linking up with The Alder Collective. Hope you'll join us again next week!

Homemade for Elle said...

I have never heard of this cake before, but it looks delicious! I've pinned it to try soon. Thanks for linking up to This is How We Roll linky party!

Social Activist said...

Honey comb cake thugh new to me looks very attractive. Thanks for sharing. I want to prepare it for my children who enjoy new and funny stuffs.

Jas @ All that's Jas said...

This is a first for me, but I like the look and sound of it. Thanks for linking up with Thursday Favorite Things! Hope you'll join us again this week.

Crafts a la Mode said...

LOVELY chocolate cake. Pinned to my Chocolate board. Best wishes, Linda @Crafts a la mode

AngieOuellette-Tower said...

This delicious recipe is being featured on my blog today because you received the most "clicks" on the October #GreatBlogTrain : http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2015/10/october-2015-great-blog-train-results.html
Thanks
Angie

Mathu said...

Is there any replacement for the eggs? Can I add curd,vinegar, baking soda combo? Will that work?

Ali Lai the Baker said...

I just tried this recipe and result done very good.
To avoid too sweet, reduce half of the condensed milk become 1/2 cup.

Thank you... :-)

Reinz said...

Thanks for posting this, i've made this before and its always yummy - condensed milk... :)

Have you ever tried to frost this cake? I presume as long as its cooled down, it should be good to frost it with some butter cream like any other cake? as its pretty sweet maybe a cheesy frosting or a soury one - using buttermilk or passion fruit

The Lazy Gastronome said...

It looks so moist and amazing!! Thank you for sharing at the What's for Dinner Party

Teresa B said...

It looks delicious. I've never seen a cake looking quite like yours, and I'm totally curious about the process.
Thank you for sharing the recipe at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned.

Sahana Ajeethan said...

This is such a unique cake. I should give it a try sometime. hank you for linking with us @ #HomeMatters We would love to see you again next week.

April J Harris said...

I've never seen a cake like this before Nora! I love the honeycomb effect, and it looks so rich and chocolate-y too. Thank you for sharing and for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party. Take care and stay safe and well!

April J Harris said...

I'm fascinated by the texture of this cake, Nora. It looks so pretty and chocolatey too! Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul Link Party. I hope you and yours are well. Take care.

Esme said...

Amazing, love the look of this awesome cake - visited from #SeniorSalonPitStop Shared on SM

Christy G said...

This cake looks so good. I’ll have to make it this week when my son is home.