Monday, December 21, 2009
SERI MUKA JAGUNG
Traditional kuih consisting of two layers, below one made of glutinous rice while the top is the egg custard with addition of sweet kernel corn. When steaming the top layer do cover it with aluminium foil to avoid water dripping from the steamer. It is advisable to soak the glutinous to obtain properly cooked rice and not grainy.
2 cups glutinous rice (wash and soak for 2hours)
3 cups coconut milk
1 fragrant screwpine leaf
3 tablespoons wheat flour
3 tablespoons custard flour
1 cup sugar
2 and 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/2 tin whole kernel corn
1/4 teaspoon vanillin powder (optional)
1. Boil water in steamer. Drain rice and put in a tray together with coconut milk, screwpine leaf and salt.
2. Steam for 20 minutes, turn rice over and continue steaming. After 10 minutes, take tray out and press rice down until compact.
3. Combine sugar and eggs, beat well, add flour, vanillin and coconut milk, stir and strain. Now add the sweet corn, mix well. Cover with aluminium foil.
4. Prick the cooked rice with fork to ensure the top layer sticks to it. Remove the screwpine leaf.
5. Pour the egg mixture and steam for 10 minutes. Remove lid, gently stir the top layer and continue steaming for 20-25 minutes.
6. When top layer is firm, cool well before cutting.
Recipe Link Up
Just Few Of My Favorite Things
Sister Sister Sunday
Making Your Home Sing
MM Meatless Mondays10
Market Yourself Monday
Mad Skills Monday
Motivate Me Monday