At times fruit cake may taste awful especially the mass produced ones but a homemade version can be truly delicious. Generally fruit cake contains a mixture of fruit and nut. If there are certain fruits you don't like, you can always include more or another, some of your favorites.
This recipe makes quite a moist cake which is not as heavy as a traditional fruit cake. The best part, it is incredibly easy to prepare. Besides sultana and dates, it can easily replaced with chocolate chips, dried apricot, cranberries, dried pineapple or even dried papaya. Feel free to pick and mix to create a cake that's perfect for your family.
Yield One 7 in loaf
1 C self raising flour
1/2 C brown sugar
3/4 C hot milk
3/4 C dates
3/4 C sultana
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* Soften dates and butter in hot milk. Allow to cool. Preheat oven @ 170 C and grease 7in pan.
* In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and sultana. Pour in dates mixture and vanilla into the dry ingredients. Mix well, pour into prepared pan.
* Sprinkle almond over the top and gently press into the surface.
* Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
* Cool on pan 10 minutes, transfer on rack to cool.
* Slice to serve.