LABRLS




Friday, December 25, 2009

WHITE BAIT FRITTERS

Photobucket

This dish reminded me of my mum's cooking when I was a small child, made of fresh white bait (ikan bilis nasi), red chilli and flour. If you use the self raising flour, the baking powder should be omitted. Another my favourite side dish serve with hot steaming rice.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup fresh white bait (wash and drain)
2 tablespoons wheat flour
1 tablespoon cornflour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg beaten
1 fresh red chilli sliced
4 shallots sliced
2 spring onion or coriander leaves chopped
1/3 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying

METHOD

1. Mix all ingredients except oil in a bowl.

2. Heat oil, drop 2 tablespoons of batter and spread it into thin pancake.

3. Turn it over to cook the other side. Drain on absorbent kitchen towel.

4. Continue the process until all the batter is used up.

5. Serve hot with chilli or tomato sauce.

5 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

that looks delicious!! I have never heard of whitebait before now, thank goodness for wikipedia!! Your dish does sound very flavorful, I would love to try it....and I do love my fish fried!
Cheers
Dennis

Angela said...

They look similar to smelt, which we dip and batter and fry. Looks delicious!

Treat and Trick said...

Chef Dennis ..It is similar to anchovies but smaller and white in color. It is more flavorful and sweeter if used in cooking..

Angela FRS...Thanks for your sweet comment dear..

Cakewalker said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe, for until now, I've not known about this type of fish. Looking forward to trying this!

Medeja- CranberryJam said...

I haven't heard about whitebait.. :) but I think I would like such snack :)