Thursday, April 22, 2010
SAMBAR RICE AND A CARD
Today my sons are not eating at home since they have an outdoor assignment. It would be great to cook what I loved most. Sambar (tangy lentil and vegetable curry) is my all time favorite food. The same thing I'm going to prepare, it is a marriage of two different dishes, tomato rice and sambar and this is how it is created and done in my style, you could use other vegetables too. The result? Truly amazing taste, wonderful one pot meal. Fantastic!!! Give a try and you would know what I mean.
1 and 1/2 cup basmati rice (soak for 30 minutes then drain)
1/2 cup cooked garbanzo bean
1 carrot cubed
1 potato cubed
1/4 cup green peas
1/4 cup whole kernel corn
2 onions chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1 and 1/2 tablespoons sambar powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tablespoon tamarind mix with 1/2 cup water
pinch of asafoetida
3 cloves garlic minced
salt to taste
3 tablespoons ghee or oil
* Heat the oil, splutter the mustard seeds, add onion and curry leaves, fry until light brown. Add garlic, stir for a few minutes, add tomato and salt. Cook until tomato turns soft.
* Now add chili powder, sambar powder, turmeric, asafoetida and some water, fry until fragrant.
* Add the vegetables and tamarind juice, cover the pot, cook until vegetable turns soft.
* Pour in the rice and sufficient water to cook the rice, add salt.
* Once the water is evaporated, cover pot and continue to cook for 10 minutes using slow heat.
* Dish out onto serving plate and enjoy your delicious sambar rice.
My blogger pal, E-na Zarina, Nagoya has sent the following beautiful card which is snapped by her. Thanks for your kind thought hope our friendship will last forever.