In French cuisine, a quiche is an oven baked dish made with milk or cream and egg in a pastry crust. The . pastry shell is filled with cooked vegetables or precooked meat and cheese are often added to the egg mixture before it is baked. It is normally served during lunch, dinner or breakfast according to your personal preference.
This is my first attempt baking a quiche. For a healthier choice, I had cut down the butter used but overall they are excellent and a big hit with my family. Precooked fresh vegetables if you're using them but now I'd added canned corn kernel and green peas for this recipe..
Yield 9 portion
1 1/2 C self raising flour
1/2 C milk
5 TB butter
1 TB sugar
1/4 tsp salt
* Heat together in a pot, butter, milk, sugar and salt until butter is melted.
* Remove from heat, quickly add the flour, forms into a dough..
3/4 C milk
1 onion chopped
5 TB corn kernel
5 TB green peas
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp fresh/ dried basil
3/4 TB corn flour
1/2 C grated cheese
1 tomato cut for decoration
* Heat oil, fry onion until light brown, add corn and green peas. Fry for a minute, sprinkle with pepper and salt. Remove from heat.
* Combine together milk and corn flour, make sure no lumps. Keep aside.
* Grease your muffin pan. Roll out dough, cut out into round using 2 in cookies cutter, Press dough into side and base of muffin pan. Prick bottom with fork. Preheat oven @ 180 C.
* Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of filling, pour the milk mixture up to 3/4 full. Sprinkle grated cheese and basil, dot with small piece of tomato.
* Bake @ 180 C for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and filling is set.
* Cool in pan 5 minutes, remove and cool on rack.
Linking to Aspiring Bakers 6
Linking to Quiche