This chicken dish was a popular choice to pair with biryani , ghee rice, pulao or even bread.
Made with blended dry chili, tomato puree and spices, hence it got its name from the color of this dish Merah (Red).
For this recipe, the chicken pieces are coated with turmeric and salt then deep fried until half cooked prior to cooking of this dish. It was quite spicy but you can always reduce the chili used according to your tolerance. If you want to try out, here is the recipe:
AYAM MASAK MERAH BEREMPAH
1 whole chicken cut into 8 or 10 pieces
3 big onions cut into ring
1 inch cinnamon
200 g tomato puree
2 lemon grass bruise
1 in galangal bruise
3 tomatoes cut into wedges
salt and sugar to taste
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
GRIND INTO PASTE
10-15 dry chilies
4 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
2 tablespoons coriander seed
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1. Wash chicken pieces, coat with turmeric and salt. Deep fry until half cooked. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat the oil, fry the onion, cinnamon, cardamom, lemon grass, galangal and ground ingredients until fragrant.
3. Add in the fried chicken, tomato puree, salt, sugar and 1 cup of water, cook until thicken.
4. Now add the tomatoes and coriander leaves. Remove from heat.
5. Serve with rice or bread of your choice.
Source : Siti Latifah Yusop
FACEBOOK / YOU TUBE / YOU TUBE / RSS / EMAIL / GOOGLE+ / TWITTER