Dalcha is a meat stew made with lentil and tamarind.. Used mutton ribs if possible since it is much tastier than using the meat. The lentil and mutton are boiled then added to the curry after the meat turns soft. In addition vegetables like brinjal, carrot, potato or green banana are used in cooking this dish. I would say the dalcha is almost a complete meal by itself. Green mango could be included if available to enhance the flavor thus giving slight tangy taste. Adjust the chili powder to suit your taste. The dalcha tends to become thick when cool so dilute with hot water. Let's see what you need for preparing this healthy food.
400g mutton ribs cut into medium size pieces
1/2 cup toor dhal (soak 2-3 hours)
3 shallots sliced
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 big onion sliced
1 carrot cut into 1.5 inches length
2 potato cut into 4 each
2 eggplant split into half then cut each half into 3-4 pieces
2 tablespoons meat curry powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon tamarind mix with 1/2 cup water to obtain juice
3 tomato quartered
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 green chili slit
1 stick cinnamon
2 sprig curry leaves
1 small green mango cut
3 tablespoons oil
salt to taste
3-4 cups water
1. Put mutton in a deep pot together with dhal, ginger, garlic, big onion, green chili, turmeric powder, curry leaves, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves and salt. Add water and boil until meat and dhal are cooked.
2. Add potato, carrot, eggplant, mango and cook until soft.
3. Now add coconut milk and tamarind juice, let it boil.
4. In a separate pan, heat oil, fry shallot until light brown, add meat curry powder, chili powder and curry leaves, cook until fragrant. Add tomato cook for 1 minute
5. Pour the fried spices including the oil into mutton pot, cover and cook for few minutes.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves at the time of serving.
Take A Look Tuesday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tuesdays At The Table
Dr Lauras Tasty Tuesday
Tasty Tuesdays Bloghop
Made With Love 4
Tuesday Nigh Supper Club
Saturday Is Crafty Day
Remodelaholics Blog Link
Say Hi Sunday
Connect with me:
FACEBOOK / YOU TUBE / YOU TUBE / RSS / EMAIL