LABRLS




Monday, January 18, 2010

MOCHAI (DRY FIELD BEAN) CURRY


Mochai kottai is a tasty bean originating from villages of Tamil Nadu, South India. I have tasted it cooked with dry fish in my former workplace. Dry roasted the dry field bean until light brown, rinse then soak overnight. Boil until soft before preparing this dish. Other vegetables like eggplant or drumstick could be added to the gravy.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup dry field bean (soak and boil)
2 tablespoons tamarind add 1/2 cup water to obtain juice
5 shallots sliced
2 cloves garlic slice
2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1 tomato chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 green bananas cut into bite size
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons oil
salt to taste
curry leaves

METHOD

1. Dry roasted the bean, rinse then soak overnight. Boil until soft, keep the stock.

2. Heat the oil, fry fenugreek, mustard, cumin and curry leaves until fragrant.

3. Pour in the shallot, garlic and tomato, cook until soft.

4. Add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, tamarind juice and salt, bring to a boil.

5. Now add the green banana, bean, the stock from boiling the bean and water, cook until tender.

6. Add more salt if required. The gravy should not be very thick or too runny. Add more water if needed. Remove from heat.

What's Cooking Wednesday
Show And Tell
Whatever Goes Wednesday 48
Creative Share Blog Hop
Real Food Wednesday
We Did It Wednesday
Recipes I Cant Wait To Try
This Weeks Cravings
Cheap Thrills Thursday
Pennywise Platter Thursday
Ultimate Recipe Swap
Its A Keeper Thursday
Just Another Meatless Monday
Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays
Monday Mania

5 comments:

Padma said...

This is one of my fav curry. Love with hot rice. Looks nice tangy and delicious.
For the kulfi, I have used popsicle moulds that we get here in walmart :)

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Thanks Padma for the info. It's my fav too....

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

This curry is different and delicious. Do visit my blog when time permitshttp://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

You have a great space here. Keep rocking

HaleyLeann said...

This sounds so yummy! I never would have thought to put banana in it! I always think of it as being in sweet dishes, not savory. I'll have to try that out sometime. Thanks for sharing on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try! If you haven't already, be sure and stop by my blog to enter my giveaway. =)