This melt in the mouth tart is a must during festive season in most South East Asian homes. It consists of two parts, the pastry and the filling. It is such a delight to bite into one, just can't stop eating them, so damn yummy.
Best to prepare the filling ahead before you start baking this tart. Most suitable to choose ripe pineapple that will produce better tasting filling came from the pineapple thus adding less sugar. The grated pineapple along with its juice is cooked until thick along with sugar using low heat and constant stirring if not it sticks to the bottom of the pan. Once cooked, leave to cool and refrigerate. This way the filling is quite easy to handle and easily shaped into small balls before stuffing into the pastry.
If the dough is too soft, you can add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour and refrigerate for 30 minutes in a covered bowl. Apart from using the fluted tart cutter, if you have time and patience, do pinch the sides of tart using tart pincer, look pretty but time consuming.
2 cup grated pineapple
1 and 1/2 cup sugar or to taste
cinnamon and star anise (optional)
* Cook grated pineapple with sugar until thick stirring occasionally using medium heat.
* Once it leaves side of the pot, remove from heat and leave to cool. Refrigerate.
* Roll into small balls.
400 g all purpose flour
250 g butter softened
1 egg yolk
50 ml ice cold water
1/4 tsp salt
* Mix butter, salt and egg yolk in a mixing bowl until well combined.
* Gradually add the flour and water to form into pliable dough. If dough is too soft, add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour.
* Using cookies cutter, roll out the dough about 1/2 cm thick, cut into 5 cm rounds with a fluted pineapple tart cutter. Fill the center with a lightly flattened ball of jam.
* Repeat with the rest of the dough. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes @ 175 C.
* Remove onto wire rack. When completely cool, store in airtight container.
Linking to Bookmarked Recipes Every Tuesday 27
Connect with me:
FACEBOOK / PINTEREST / YOU TUBE / YOU TUBE / RSS / EMAIL
GOOGLE+ / TWITTER