Instead of normal fish curry, I tried this recipe by Roselle which is a hit with my family. It has sweet, slightly hot and tangy taste the way I like it. Sweetness comes from the onion used and recommended that you lightly fry the fish before adding to the gravy.
If possible try to use bigger fish with less bone and thick flesh. Adding chili powder and tamarind can be adjusted to your liking. This recipe produces rather thick curry but if you want more gravy, do add more water but not too much.
SPICY NADAN TOMATO FISH
500 g fish pieces
2 cups chopped tomato
2 cups onion chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 cup thick tamarind juice
1/2 cup oil
salt to taste
1 T ginger garlic paste
3 T chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
* Clean and drain the fish, mix masala ingredients with a little water to form into a paste.
* Heat the oil, add curry leaves and onion, fry until light brown.
* Add in the tomato, once it turns soft, add the masala paste, cook until the oil starts to separate.
* Now add the tamarind juice and a cup of water, bring to boil and add salt.
* Add fish and cook until the fish is done.
* Serve hot.
* Always taste first before adding more salt and tamarind, need not use all.
* Lightly fry the fish after coating with salt and turmeric to avoid breakage and make the fish firmer.
Connect with me:
FACEBOOK / YOU TUBE / YOU TUBE / RSS / EMAIL / GOOGLE+ / TWITTER