Wednesday, November 18, 2009
HANDY KITCHEN TIP
Listed below are tips compiled by Dr GTS which I find very useful, will publish the tips part by part so others will also benefit after reading the article.
1. Do not throw away hard pieces of stale bread. Dry them in the sun or on the tawa and grind and use as breadcrumbs.
2. Add a little milk to the onions while frying. This will help to retain the rich color and prevent them from burning.
3. While frying mushrooms, add a tsp of lemon juice to the butter. This will prevent them from breaking
4. While cutting hardboiled eggs, the yolk often tends to break. To avoid this dip the knife in ice cold water for a few seconds and then cut smoothly.
5. To 5 kg basmati rice of cheaper qlty add 1 kg of superior qlty and sprinkle a little oil and mix well with your hand. Store in airtight container for 6 months. All the rice will now taste like the superior qlty one.
6. Add wheat flour to the leftover rasagulla syrup and mix to a smooth batter. Keep overnight. Treat yourself to sweet chelas (pancakes) for breakfast the next day.
7. If home made gulab jamuns have not turned out soft and fluffy, steam them in a pressure cooker using the weight along with the syrup for 10 minutes
8. If a recipe requires self raising flour you can make your own by sieving each cup of maida with 1 ½ tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
9. To make softer idlis and dosas mix a little cooked rice while grinding the batter.
10. To increase the quantity of fresh cream by say 250 grams add half a cup thick curd and half cup of milk and beat well. This will double the qty and also the taste will be better.
Show Off Your Stuff 55
Strut Your Stuff
Look What I Made
It's Hodgepodge Friday
Friday Favorites 40