Monday, November 30, 2009
HOMEMADE ROTI PRATA
This is crispy or fluffy flat bread normally served either with dal, chicken,fish curry or just sugar. It is called roti canai in Malaysia. After mixing the dough, it must be kept preferably overnight. One must have the skill to flip the dough into layer before heating it on a flat pan or else you have to stretch the dough as thin as possible, roll into coil, flatten the dough then fry it. In Singapore it is so famous that you can have this anytime of the day with addition of egg, banana, chocolate, cheese and many more.
500g wheat flour
250-300 ml water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp condensed milk
3 tbsp margarine or shortening
oil or margarine for coating and frying
1. In a bowl, combine salt, condensed milk, egg and water.
2. Add flour and margarine to the water mixture.
3. Knead the dough until smooth, divide dough into 10 balls.
4. Coat each ball with margarine and let stand for at least 5 hours or overnight.
5. Spread the dough as thin as possible, roll the dough to form a coil.
6. Flatten the dough using your hand into round shape. Rest 10 minutes.
7. Fry on flat pan until both side turn golden brown, drizzle with oil as you fry.
8. Serve hot with curry or sugar.
view my recipes